Friday, May 20, 2022

Kevin Reeve's "Apache Limp Wire Trap" - Useful camp intrusion alarm!


A few days ago, I was looking at the ONPOINT TACTICAL Facebook page, and came across an article written by Kevin Reeve on a primitive man-trap called an "Apache Limp Wire Trap". Basically it's a trip wire triggered drop-trap deigned to injure or dissuade a person or person(s) tracking/pursuing you. The Apache people had long experience at this, having been hunted by the Spanish, then Mexican, and finally American armies over the century's. 

I myself, have no need to whack anyone on the noggin with a trap, but it did occur to me that this might be a great trap for a camp intruder alarm. I reasoned a tin can full of rocks might make a great noisemaker when it hit the ground, and give some warning or a person or animal entering camp.

I downloaded reeve's article and took it out to the park where I practice skills. I had some paracord and some old carving practice try sticks to use for trap trigger pieces. Reeve had used a piece of branch and staked it into the ground inverted so the croth acted to hold one side of the trap trigger. For mine, I used a "7 Notch", as it's what I had available [I like his better]. Following is a video I shot of the trap in use and function:



I had a "small mishap" while setting the trap. The bean can full of rocks fell, glancing off the right side of my back . I am glad it was not a head strike, as it would have surely rung my bell a good one [or worse], as it sped toward the ground. In case you are interested in trying this trap, here is the link for the article:  "Apache Booby Traps"


Happy Hiking!  

GOBLIN RANGER
[Bushcraft Woods Devil] 

No comments:

Post a Comment