Sunday, July 20, 2014

Summer hike at the Johnson Ranch

On Tuesday,  07/15/2014, I got off early from work and decided to catch a quick hike on the Johnson Ranch Trail. The trail is part of the City of San Luis Obispo Open Space . It was sunny and only 76 degrees, but the humidity was making it feel hotter as I started up the trail. I made my way to the end of the canyon where the trail dips down to a seasonal creek. A little puddle of water was remaining in one spot:

Seasonal Creek
 
Continuing on, I watched for tracks and managed to spot an old canine track in the dry, rocky dirt. I could not tell whether it was made by a domestic dog or a Coyote:
 
Canine Track
 
A little further along I came across a large pile of Bear scat full of  berries, right in the middle of the trail:
Bear Scat
 
Throughout the hike I'd gathered litter into a bag I'd brought. It never ceases to amaze me how inconsiderate people can be of our natural resources, such as this coffee cup someone discarded which contained a dog litter collection bag:
 
Litterbug spoor
 
Back at the trailhead I paused to collect more litter. I ended up with about 2 pounds of trash:
 
 
 Big bag of trash
 
It vexes me to have to pick up other people's litter, but then I have to ask myself, "If not me, then who will do it?" Our wildlife friends cannot do it and are counting on us to help protect their natural home. Friends, I challenge you all to help make a difference and carry out what litter you can on your outings. By our example, maybe we can influence others to help.
 
Also, please visit LEAVE NO TRACE Center for Outdoor Ethics and U.S. Forest Service Conservation Education webpages for additional information and resources. Help do your part and be part of the solution to the trail litter problem.
 
 
Happy Hiking,
 
GOBLIN RANGER
 

No comments:

Post a Comment