Saturday, May 6, 2017

Prayers & Smoke for Our World

I have been a bushcrafter for about 5 years or so now. As I grew in experience, I evolved. I think when I started it was all about the gear. I would tear down trails just to see how fast I could cover a distance. But as I learned more skills and knowledge from folks, especially here on the forums, I gradually pared away the gear and became a minimalist. I also had my eyes opened and my awareness of the beauty of the natural world increased. Nowadays, I never hurry, and sometimes take a couple of hours to cover a mile, studying plants, taking a knee and watching the wonder or wildlife listening to calls and such. I usually come back with a bag of trash too, as I now can't bear to see litter and not remove it.

Through bushcraft, I have come to feel a deep spirituality when I am outdoors [I'm not sure you can be a true bushcrafter without an appreciation and reverence for the gift of nature?]. I know many of the indigenous peoples here in the USA had a different view than westerners. They didn't see a creator in the person of a deity, but they saw that there was a life force that birthed and regenerated the natural world, and they felt connected to it and to each other. The Lakota, for instance, called that force Wakan tanka, or "The Great Mystery", and while they didn't understand who or how it worked, they strongly felt it was due respect and prayers of thanks.

I think that we've lost that reverence for nature and the miracle of life. Everyday people have become disconnected from it. They rush about to work and their hurried lives and fail to see what bushcrafter's know....that there is a beautiful natural world that heals and regenerates our soul I know bushcraft has helped me to find it in myself.

Anyways, the point is lately I have been worried about the state of affairs here in the world and in my own country. So many angry hateful people. World leaders threatening war and nuclear weapons. People here at home arguing and insulting each other over politics. It is horrible to ponder, but we could lose our home, this Earth, in 30 minutes with just the push of a button.

This past Thursday was the National Day of Prayer here in the U.S.A., and while I am not a religious person, I felt obliged to go to the woods and offer Prayers & Smoke, and ask for wisdom for our world leaders and healing for our people. To turn people's hearts away from anger and hate. To ask for our world leaders to guide us to better care for our Earth so that we can leave a healthy planet for our children and grandchildren to live in. I made two videos of my prayer outing, which are below. The first is intentions, the second making White Sage smoke.





I hope you will join me in sending good thoughts and intentions, however you believe. Blessings on you all!


GOBLIN RANGER
[Bushcraft Woods Devil]

No comments:

Post a Comment